FRAXEL
Chat Room
Login  |  Register
Page: 1 2

Ruby
Nov 16, 2005
5:13 PM
Hi there,

I am considering having Fraxel done for my melasma and wanted some feedback from anyone who has had it. I'm really concerned about the long term affects of this new procedure.

I would appreciate it if you could share your experiences!!

Thanks,
Ruby
hi
Dec 30, 2005
7:47 AM
Would also love to hear about experiences with Fraxel. So,far, the only negative I've heard is the pain associated with the treatments. People have been raving about the results, especially for olive and ethnic skin, that can't do other peels and lasers without pigmentation change.
I'm having Fraxel done in March, and would like to know what to expect or how to prepare before going.
Thank you!
Anonymous
Jan 06, 2006
11:17 AM
Has anyone tried the Fraxel laser yet or know of anyone who has? Im contemplating using it, but want to know how long it really takes to heal afterward. Thanks!
Sue
Jan 23, 2006
5:17 AM
I have now had my 3rd Fraxell and it has been about 2 months. My face is continuing to improve. The 2nd and 3rd were very painful as the doctor turned up the level a little. i wanted to get my money's worth. I had swelling for several days, redness and flaking for about a week. The pain of the procedure continues for me for about the next day or so. My doctor uses the numbing cream and the cooling device. I think the cooling helps a lot with the pain. I am pleased with the improvement in skin texture, skin tone and pore size. I have some bad acne scars and there has been some improvement. The doctor says I will need more treatment for the acne scars. i am seeing her next month to get her opinion on how many more I will need. I do not notice any firming of my skin. The doctor says the fine lines are better. I think there is an overall brightness to my skin that was not there before. People have begun to tell me how good I look but do not mention the face. i think they notice something different about me but are not sure what it is. Post if you want more details on my experience. Sue
Sue
Jan 23, 2006
5:17 AM
I have now had my 3rd Fraxell and it has been about 2 months. My face is continuing to improve. The 2nd and 3rd were very painful as the doctor turned up the level a little. i wanted to get my money's worth. I had swelling for several days, redness and flaking for about a week. The pain of the procedure continues for me for about the next day or so. My doctor uses the numbing cream and the cooling device. I think the cooling helps a lot with the pain. I am pleased with the improvement in skin texture, skin tone and pore size. I have some bad acne scars and there has been some improvement. The doctor says I will need more treatment for the acne scars. i am seeing her next month to get her opinion on how many more I will need. I do not notice any firming of my skin. The doctor says the fine lines are better. I think there is an overall brightness to my skin that was not there before. People have begun to tell me how good I look but do not mention the face. i think they notice something different about me but are not sure what it is. Post if you want more details on my experience. Sue
lyn
Feb 27, 2006
11:57 PM
I have just has my third fraxel treatment, I have much the same reaction as Sue, I think I can see an improvement, but feel it is still early days, as my face has been red and quite swollen with flaking,for most of the last 5 weeks.
dana
Apr 06, 2006
11:07 AM
I had Fraxel last week. Got a huge blister on my cheek bone. I've not heard of anyone else experiencing this problem. Have any of you had serious blistering from Fraxel?
Anonymous
Apr 23, 2006
9:49 AM
I am considering having Fraxel on my arms to reduce the loose skin. Anyone familiar with this procedure. Cost 4thousand. My next concern is that it will be done by a person trained by the reps;she is only a beautician by trade. Nancy
Lorraine
May 15, 2006
5:43 PM
I am scheduled to have my second treatment tomorrow, seven weeks since the first treatment. The reason is to remove noticeably deep wrinkles on the face and the Doctor has suggested 3-5 treatments, most likely 5.
The numbing cream was left on for an hour and a half afer the surgery discovered this to be preferable to one hour. The pain is eased with the cooling fan and ice packs do ease the heat felt after the treatments. I was expecting the first day to be the worst but the next two days with a swollen face wasn't a nice experience either. I experienced minimal flaking but the redness lasted for at least a week. While the staff assured me that make-up could cover it up, I didn't find that to be the case at all and went into hiding.

After one treatment neither my husband or myself can notice any difference and it will be interesting to hear the Doctor's opinion tomorrow.

There is no way I would have anyone other than a Doctor treat me with this equipment and I wouldn't go back to the person who left one patient with a blister on her cheek.

Given that the deep lines came rapidly after ceasing HRT treatment, and a number of expensive creams failed to reverse them, I am keen to find a non-surgical method that may work. For that reason I intend to continue with the treatment, hoping to at least see some improvements by the third treatment.
jt
Jul 04, 2006
4:09 PM
I am going for my 4th treatment on Thursday. I am scheduled for a total of 8 treatments and they are scheduled two weeks apart. The first treatment was okay, the second painful and the third, well lets just say I almost threw up it was so bad. I am having anxiety about my next one because the pain of the third is so fresh in my mind. I like most of you who have had Fraxel experienced redness, swelling, and peeling. I have no pain the day following the procedure, in fact very lttle pain a couple of hours after the procedure. The swelling last about three days and I am still pink by the time I go back two weeks later. I have noticed quite a difference in the wrinkles around my eyes and my skin just looks fresher...maybe because I have that just been to the beach sun burn. My co workers tell me they see a difference in my skin ie. pores are smaller and skin looks smoother. Hopefully, I will be able to make it through all eight treatments. Although this is not fda approved for skin cancer it is the main reason I am having it done. I have been told it does get rid of sun damaged skin and I have already had 4 mohs surgery for skin cancer on my face. I am hoping this takes care of pre cancerous lesions. I have not noticed the fraxel helping with the scar from my last skin cancer surgery, but then again it is early in the treatment. Good luck all and use sunscreen!!
dianna
Jul 05, 2006
2:29 AM
Hello ladies, for a non laser, surgery treatment for firming skin try the facial mask by Bioxira. See my web site at youonlybetter.com.

I am 56 and have used the mask three times after I did home microdermabrasion and my friends think I had a face lift. It is quite amazing.
sophie
Jul 05, 2006
6:47 PM
I just had my 3rd fraxel today and don't feel so great. I have very little, if any pain with the treatment. So, I am sorry for all of you who do. I get a shot of (extra advil) in the rear before hand and the cooling device works well for me.
I look pretty awful right now. I can say that I saw Zero difference after the first treatment,, at times I thought I looked more wrinkled. After the second,, harder one,, I definately noticed improvement in lines around my eyes and smothing of my upper lids as well. But,,, as my cheeks seemed to get smoother,,, there appeared on one side some tiny little "acne scar" type marks - not burns.. more like big pores on my high cheekbone. The doctor I am seeing is fabulous and was on the inside research and does all treatments himself. He thinks I am seeing this because the skin is smoothing overall and some small imperfections are becoming more apparent,, but also said this would certainly be his treatment of choice for acne scars.
Has ANYONE experienced a similar thing- certain parts improving while other unwanted imperfections become clearer?? Does it get better over time - that collagen thing? I am hoping this third treatment will help,, but I am so swollen tonight and my pores look huge as do the little marks on my cheek - I am really nervous and would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this- hopefully comforting.
I am 42 years old and mainly did this to smooth out sun damage and rough texture. Thanks to all and would love to talk to someone and personally email if others have had an experience with fraxel. Thanks.
sophie
Jul 05, 2006
6:47 PM
I just had my 3rd fraxel today and don't feel so great. I have very little, if any pain with the treatment. So, I am sorry for all of you who do. I get a shot of (extra advil) in the rear before hand and the cooling device works well for me.
I look pretty awful right now. I can say that I saw Zero difference after the first treatment,, at times I thought I looked more wrinkled. After the second,, harder one,, I definately noticed improvement in lines around my eyes and smothing of my upper lids as well. But,,, as my cheeks seemed to get smoother,,, there appeared on one side some tiny little "acne scar" type marks - not burns.. more like big pores on my high cheekbone. The doctor I am seeing is fabulous and was on the inside research and does all treatments himself. He thinks I am seeing this because the skin is smoothing overall and some small imperfections are becoming more apparent,, but also said this would certainly be his treatment of choice for acne scars.
Has ANYONE experienced a similar thing- certain parts improving while other unwanted imperfections become clearer?? Does it get better over time - that collagen thing? I am hoping this third treatment will help,, but I am so swollen tonight and my pores look huge as do the little marks on my cheek - I am really nervous and would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this- hopefully comforting.
I am 42 years old and mainly did this to smooth out sun damage and rough texture. Thanks to all and would love to talk to someone and personally email if others have had an experience with fraxel. Thanks.
michelle
Jul 16, 2006
7:34 AM
Hi I have just had my first fraxel treatment i am bit nervous about my 2nd and 3rd as she wants to turn it up a bit :( so i get my money's worth my face felt very hot after but that only lasted a couple of hours my face was very swollen the next morning but eased as the day went on and also the following day i feel much better on the third day ,
Michelle
lou
Jul 29, 2006
7:20 AM
hss anyone had their eyes swollen shut after Fraxel treatment?
Bootsa
Jul 29, 2006
11:03 AM
I had my first Fraxel treatment yesterday. I had this procedure performed on my face, to remove wrinkles around the eyes and mouth, and on my abdomen to help remove stretch marks (now approved and proported proven). The clinic prescribed vicodin and valium for the procedure, which is taken once you get to the clinic, one hour before the procedure. They also applied a topical gel twice for pain. During the procedure I had just minor discomfort. The feeling is of a warmth and prickling sensation. The chin area was the more sensitive area for some reason. Today.... I have severe swelling on my face and kind of a striped sun burn, eyes were almost swollen shut when I woke up this morning. The abdomen area is sun burn red and just a little puffy, but not bad at all. I am hiding out in my room today as to not scare anyone. Hopefully when I return to work on Monday the swelling will be gone. I was really concerned with the amount of swelling on my face, but after reading the other posts, I feel like this must be usual. Thanks for posting.
Lou
Jul 29, 2006
12:50 PM
I had my Fraxel on Thursday and my eyes have been more swollen each day and I have slept on a wedge and a pillow.
I am going to my doctor's office Monday to show them. My eyelids look like they are full of water.
I am to have 2 more treatments, but if this is what the "no downtime" means, I think I have had my last treatment.
lou
Jul 31, 2006
5:50 PM
An update....This is my fourth day after Fraxel and my eyes are not swollen shut. I went to the doctor and was told that everyone heals differently. If you are told there is no downtime...remember the previous sentence.
Nicole
Aug 02, 2006
7:38 AM
I had my second Fraxel treatment done yesterday.
It was alittle more painful the second time around but swelling hasn't been as bad.
My face is really dark today darker then the first time.

I also have Melasma and after the first treatment seen huge results!!! Very impressed
I hoping to have even better results the second time around with my acne scarring..

The first time around I had about 5 days down time.. Hoping it will be the same this time around.

If anyone needs a good doctor in orane county CA let me know i would highly recommend my dr.
Colleen
Aug 05, 2006
9:19 AM
I am on my fourth day after the fraxel treatment. I am concerned because my chin and cheek bones have burns. Escpecially my chin area. It is very red, raw and bleeding. Has anyone experienced this? I have been hiding out too because of the major swelling and redness. Today the swelling is better but my chin and cheekbones are extremely ugly at this point. If this is what minimal downtime means I won't do this again. Has anyone experience burns from this? I had this done in a doctors office and the technician said she has done this 600 times and neve burned a patient.
lou
Aug 05, 2006
12:14 PM
Collen
I had crusting on my chin and upper lip, but that is gone. I had my first treatment 9 days ago..I still have some redness in several areas. Hope this helps!
lynnette
Aug 08, 2006
3:24 PM
I am beginning to think that fraxel works really great for melasma and just so-so for all else. It has alot more downtime than other laser devices that also work so-so, and others are maybe 300-500 per treatment, not 1000+ per treatment.

I've had one fraxel treatment so far and was very red and swollen for two days. Beginning the third day my skin got dry and tight and I began mild flaking that ended in a couple days. I would not want anyone I know to get too close to me or talk for too long until the fourth day. Not sure that I see a difference yet (i'm in for lines and pores).

I'm curious about the stretch marks -- let me know how it goes for that as I don't think anything really helps them.

Who is the doc in OC? I'm in LA, but an RN did my treatment so I may want to switch if I have another done.
After everyone's posts here and on other boards I am scared s**tless for the second treatment's pain!!
wendy
Aug 13, 2006
7:51 AM
This is my 3rd day after treatment,and my eyes are still monstrously swollen. The rest of my face probably is, but who can notice with my eyes like this? I also have some sort of bruise on the side of my nose up near the bridge. I am really getting worried. Can't go out. Don't know how I"m going to work tomorrow. It's the weekend so I can't reach the dr. office who did this.
Advice?
Similar experiences? When does this get better???
sharon
Aug 13, 2006
1:18 PM
I just had my 4th Fraxel treatment. The 1st three went fine. This time,eyes swollen, face swollen and red and burn on my cheek that bleeds and oozes. Lost 4 days from work and will probably lose another 4. It's the weekend and can't get a hold of the Dr. (not returning my calls after several messages.) Am scheduled for 1 more treatment but I don't think I can handle it; I felt on fire for days. Maybe I'll just have my hands done for the last treatment.
Steph
Aug 14, 2006
6:40 PM
Had first fraxel last Thursday. Today is Monday and I am VERY pleased!!! I am in for melasma and I would say 95% is gone and my complexion on my face is smoother than I could have ever hoped for at this point with nice closed pores. My chin is a bit raw and tight, but on the mend. So pleased with round one I am considering skipping rounds 2 and 3 that were originally scheduled! But everyone else has me scared for those rounds anyhow! Anyone out there as happy as I am?
Lynette
Aug 15, 2006
3:12 PM
To the 20 year old. Please do not use this!! There are other milder lasers that would be great for you. About 5 years ago I had a treatment that removed all the freckles on my chest and also is a mild wrinkle remover. Think it was the fotofacial or NLite -- inquire about them. There are several out there with no downtime at all that get rid of freckles and smooth minor wrinkles. Unless you have serious issues, is it worth possible burns and swollen eyes?

To those with swollen eyes, I don't see how cuz the laser should be kepy pretty much out of the eye orbit. But it scares me that side effects can vary so dramatically from treatment to treatment.

Melasma, as I posted a few days ago and someone with melasma just gushed, I think this laser's best and fastest work is done on melasma. Not sure if the rest of us out there signed up for the proper treatment. Should I do a second one??
Lou
Aug 19, 2006
5:45 PM
I had one treatment the end of July and am still having prickling sensations when I touch my face. My eyes are much better, but still somewhat swollen underneath. I have decided to forgo the other two treatments because the fraxel took too much downtime. Good luck to those of you that have had trouble with this procedure!
Bowline
Aug 27, 2006
3:12 PM
I had two brown spot treatments; on my third treatment the doctor told me that Fraxel would give me better results. He said the pain was tolerable and the swelling minimal, I could return to work the very same day or go out that night. There would be a sensation of warmth much like slight sunburn after the treatment that I could cover up with makeup. I thought it sound good even though it would cost more in the long run it would do more. I had my first treatment; the prep was interesting and took longer than the treatment. It was painful even though he had cold air blowing on my face, which made it tolerable; it felt like a hot iron burning my face, very painful.
I was told I could probably go out that night and for sure go to work the next day, just a little swelling and redness, Boy was I surprised, no way could I go out. I could not go to work for 3 days, my face was so swollen I didn't look like the same person. My husband and daughter were worried. My eyes were so swollen almost shut. I was bed ridden for 3 days and packed my face with ice. I could be a rare case, but I want people to know that this can happen. I am not going to have another treatment; I feel that the swelling caused wrinkles since my skin was so stretched out. I went back to the doctor showed him the photos we took and he just said that some people swell more then others. I told him no more Fraxel and I ‘d go back to the brown spots treatment, saw much better results.
Now, my biggest complaint is the office manger won’t give me my money back for the second Fraxel treatment that I never had. I paid for two treatments and only had one, I paid for all the brown spot treatments, and I have a credit on my account. She told me that I got such a good price that I wasn’t getting any money back that they were going to keep it.
This is making me age, the stress they have caused.
LBear
Aug 30, 2006
8:57 PM
I am 36 yrs old. I had the Fraxel treatment today. I wish I found this website before going. It is surprising to me that the nurses and other technicians that work with the doctor have had most of the procedure(s), but almost never tell you the "full story;" for example, how others react. So far after a few hours I am red, but not in pain. The pain during was barely tolerable, but I think that was mostly because there was no resting time. I think it would be more tolerable if she gave a few breaks.

I am a bit swollen and was told that I can go back to work tommorrow. However, after reading the posts I am beginning to think not. I will write again tommorrow to let others know how things are going. No swollen eyes so far.

LBear
lynette
Sep 06, 2006
8:18 AM
Just had my second fraxel yesterday and sure enough, this time my eyes are swollen. Not swollen shut, but not pretty! The tech turned up the machine this time to an 8 frequency and it did hurt more. I read somewhere fraxel is not at its most effective unless the machine is at 9, but then who knows what the side effects will be!
Has anyone had ReFirme?
Bootsa
Sep 10, 2006
9:42 AM
Ok... had my second treatment this past Friday. It was more painful and the next day I had an enormous amount of swelling. Today is Sunday and I am still held up in my bedroom so as not to scare my family or kiddo's friends. Probably will not make it to work tomorrow. It is all good though because I know the end result will be worth it!! Some tips that I would like to share... Frozen peas work excellent for helping with the swelling, not messy like trying to ice the areas. Polysporin...all over the treated area keeps the sores from scabbing and keeps the skin from getting tight, also I think it helps the healing process. I use it twice a day, applying a thin layer over the treated area and a heavier layer over the areas that ooze. Would love to hear ideas from others as to how to reduce the swelling quicker and to speed up the bronzing and peeling process.
texaskat
Sep 11, 2006
12:35 PM
3rd full face Fraxel. What to expect…
My doctor is excellent. I am seeing a Plastic Surgeon, not a Dermatologist for Fraxel.
This is how he treats his patients:
First the numbing cream is applied then 1/2 hour later I am given one Vicodine and one Valium. About 20 minutes later I am given a second round of painkillers. After that the numbing cream is then wiped off I am given about 6-8 localized injections to numb zones on my face. For me this is the most uncomfortable part of the whole experience. My eyes are covered with either pads or with metal contacts and then the blue dye is applied. The Fraxel procedure itself is tolerable, it stings to some degree but the cooling air helps with this. Time under the laser lasts about 1/2 hour at most. Immediately after, my face is cleaned and I am taken to rest and wait for my ride. At home, I use (suggested by the doctor) Dawn foaming dish soap to help remove any extra blue dye. The key to reduce the swelling is to stay upright and start icing immediately. Make sure you sleep upright the first night. On my third round, the degree was increased and I am more swollen and my eyes were little slits with large swollen areas below. You will stay red for 3 days and start to flake after for about 7-10 days. I find this hard to camouflage with makeup.
I am concerned in some of the experiences I have read that people are getting blistered or that their doctor is not managing their pain. I hope this account helps someone who is considering Fraxel and to give a contrast comparison as you shop for a Doctor. Please ask questions ahead of time about what will be done to make you comfortable! My doctor takes updated UV photos of my face to keep an archive of my progress and calls the next day after the treatment to check on me. The procedure costs $1200 for the full face.
I am 44 years old (Irish/Swedish decent) and Fraxel has evened my skin tone, removed freckles brown spots and fine lines and has smoothed the “crêpe ness” under my eyes. Best of luck!
texaskat
Sep 11, 2006
12:38 PM
PS-I use Emunition E2 Serum (Emu Oil) to help with the flaking. I was given this by my Doctor.
Bootsa
Sep 16, 2006
6:59 PM
One week and one day later... All healed and skin is looking great, still just a little pink. It took all of five days for the swelling to go completely down. The stretch marked skin on the tummy is still peeling. I have not seen a lot of change in that area as of yet. Next Appointment is October 6 and will give another update.
levigal
Sep 18, 2006
11:11 AM
I just had my Fraxel treatment, last Friday afternoon. After three days, my face is still swollen and looks like I'm ready for Halloween. I was reading someone's posting where they said to sit up, sleeping. Does that mean sitting up in a chair, or putting several pillows under your head, in bed? I am nervous about having more treatments, as I can't afford more than four days off, after procedure.
What kind of cream should you use on your skin, after treatment? The kind they gave me, doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks!
Kathleen
Sep 19, 2006
4:51 PM
I just completed my third Fraxel at a 10. Yes I am swollen, eyes puffy. Had face, neck and hands done. Yes it hurts more with each treatment. Yes the air helps alot. I like to slather on Aquaphor by Eucerine post treatment. Keeps the skin soft and comfortable, and the flaking is not so noticeable. I got a big improvement in fine lines around my eyes and a younger, fresher look to my skin. I like the results. I am looking forward and excited about the results to come after this third treament. I think it is fun to see the old skin flake off and a fresh look arise. I space out my treatments. First two was a month apart. This last one was 4 months. Hate the discomfort during the treatment and the down time is not bad for me. Love the results. Don't worry, it is not like the acid or other tough treatments. The fraxeled skin will heal and look better. Give it time. I think it is worth it.
flagirl
Sep 21, 2006
11:39 AM
Like Texaskat, I am going to a plastic surgeon. Have had 2 treatments, swelling, redness-2-3 days. I am givena phenol(sp?)pop one hour prior. Also, the antiseptic pain cream are applied one hour prior. Staying upright while sleeping the first night will help with the swelling. I found this true when I had my eyes done 10 years ago. Cold compresses for the first two days help. After reading on this site I asked the PA not to turn up the intensity as some of you have said you experienced when you had your follow up treatments. She told me she was not going to increase the intensity anyway. It seems to be the pattern of the uncomfort a lot of you are experiencing after going to more than one treatment. I am so pleased with my results. I am 50 years old, my neck is smooth and the melasma is gone after only 2 treatments. My lines around my eyes are gone and the skin is luminous-smooth. I have these horrible lines from my nose to mouth and those are improved also. I am only going for one more treatment and see the results after 3 months. The cost here in Orlando is $750 full face and $1025 for face and neck--Hope this helps
heli
Sep 26, 2006
9:38 AM
Here is what I was told: Don't use anti-inflammatories since it disrupts what Fraxel is trying to accomplish. In other words, the inflammation is part of the process. Not sure that ice or ibuprofen is a good idea if this is the case. Also, the more "pass overs" that are made across your face at each session, and the higher the frequency used, the more dramatic your results, but also the more downtime you will need. It all depends on your tolerance and how much time you have to recuperate after each session. Some doctors supply a "fraxel kit" which contains special cleansers, healing balms, etc.
peachy girl
Sep 29, 2006
12:53 PM
Swelling is normal. When a doctor says no down time, what they mean is, you can do your normal activities (shop, go the gym, drive, go to work), but you may not look normal. In other words there is no risk to you if you do your normal activities, you are not bedridden, or at risk of infection, or any other damage. There is no medical reason not do live as always. That does not mean however, that you will look normal. You will be red and will be swollen, and some people just swell more than others. Some people are more self-conscious of this than others, and if your job is in the public eye, you may choose not to go to work, but that is not the doctor's concern.

I have had a series of fraxels some months ago. Yes I was swollen and red. Yes I went out. Having small children you have no choice but to carry on. Just told everyone I had sun damage lasered. Not a big deal most people don't really care anyway.

Peachy Girl
bettyboop
Oct 01, 2006
10:27 PM
Hi, read lots on the Fraxsl here, but noone said if they got improvement on ice pick scarring.
Anyone??
mls
Oct 03, 2006
1:06 PM
Hi, I just haad my 2nd fraxel treatment. First tine at a 18 out of 24 intensity and second one at 19 intensity. Yes i had redness for 1st couple of days. some swelling for 2 or 3 days too. this time so far so good. Not too much swelling, I keep putting frozen peas on my face or a really cold wash cloth. I also took oxycodone for pain which really helped. First tiime I had nothing and it really hurt. This time not so bad. It still hurt but was tolerable. Im geting fraxel for fine lines and skin damage. I really didnt think my face was so badly damaged from the sun but from reading others who started at an 8 or 9 intensity, i must have had more damage than i thought. I dont have a wrinkle on my face now but i think its because its still a little swollen. I'm 41 years old and am really doing this for preventitive reasons. Keeping my face looking young before it starts looking not young. It lookied pretty good before i started this, my friends and husband didnt think i needed it but I think it will only make it look better as i age ungracefully.
HOPE
Oct 06, 2006
11:32 AM
I just had my 1st full face Fraxel treatment 4 days ago. My dermatologist did the treatment personally. I have a lot of faith in his judgment as he is nationally recognized as a top derm as well as he and his colleagues participate in cutting edge laser treatment research with some of the industry leaders.

I had the 1 hour pre-treat with the numbing cream. The treatment lasted about 45 minutes. At first the nurse said that they would use “aggressive” settings, because in their research that gives the best result with the fewest treatments. Once my doctor came in however, he said he would be treating me conservatively. He knows my skin and I was glad because even with the numbing cream – I was at my pain threshold. I tried not to clench my teeth and did deep breathing as he passed the hand piece over my upper lip – and I have been told in other circumstances that I have a high pain threshold. He said that most people think the forehead is the worst – but the worst for me was the upper lip and cheeks.

The equipment had the cooling air and they turned the temperature to VERY cold during the treatment. Afterward, he told me that using ice was key to reduce swelling. (((I do not believe what the earlier poster Heli said - that inflammation is a (beneficial) part of the process. I believe the “work” is done by the laser and that the swelling is just a by-product of that damage and that managing the inflammation itself does diminish the benefit of the treatment at all. If so – my derm would not be pushing ice and another nurse would not have recommended Advil.)))

I was very uncomfortable after treatment – skin felt burning hot especially cheeks. I was given a bag of ice as I left the office. Once home, I gently washed the blue off my face in the shower while I still had benefit of the numbing cream. I then used the reusable ACE cold packs and bags of frozen peas on my face. The frozen peas were just the right size, flexibility, and temperature for my face. GREAT TIP!

Day 2: In the AM – my face was very swollen. He had steered clear of my eyes – at my request – and I was glad because my swollen cheeks had made my eyes almost slits. I stayed home that day and iced about 30 minutes each hour. I slept with pillows at about a 45 degree angle. My skin felt chapped and sore.

Day 3: My skin was still red (like a bad sun burn) and somewhat swollen – but not enough so that I couldn’t go to work. I had no meetings to attend – it was a quiet week in an office that is shutting down – so not many people to see me. I applied SPF 45 and makeup over that and if you didn’t look too closely – it wasn’t scary. I had taken Advil all along since I left doctor’s office. I noticed that my skin felt rough – it had a gritty texture. I had some granular flaking.

Day 3 is today and my skin feels tight – again like after a sun burn and 90% of swelling is gone. I have not had any Advil today. I have more flaking.

I am almost 45 years old. Red/blonde hair, blue eyes, very fair Irish descent skin. I had been a life guard in my teens and got plenty of sun well into my 20’s. I have been anti-sun for the last 15 years – but now have some uneven texture and brown spots, fine lines. It is certainly not “bad” condition skin and everyone says I look 10 years younger than I am – but I am nervous about what is to come from the sun damage and have seen both my parents have problems with skin cancer, wrinkles, and BIG brown spots, among other things that just look nasty. I don’t have another appointment scheduled as yet. My Dr. doesn’t have treatment packages and I know I need to schedule at least 2 more appointments. The problem is cost for me – this single treatment was $1,500. My Dr. is in the Boston, Massachusetts area.
mag
Oct 12, 2006
1:19 PM
Hi, I burned my skin with salicylic acid and the top layer of my skin peeled off on my cheek, now I have an indented scar. It;s not very deep but wide, looks like a chicken pox mark, boxcar scar with sharp visible edges. I'm considering Fraxel. Do you think it will help in my case?
Want fine lines gone
Oct 17, 2006
2:10 PM
I am considering Fraxel and was amazed at how expensive it is.....my doctor quoted me $4000 for 4 sessions. I am looking to do this only for fine lines. Is it worth it? I am 38 yrs old and all these posting made me alittle nervous. Are there any other procedures that are not so painful?????
bootsa
1 post
Nov 04, 2006
2:07 PM
Had my third treatment yesterday. We increased the intensity to 15 and lowered the density to 125. The reason, explained to me, is that with each session the intensity is increased and the density decreased for a more noticeable result. Today I am just a little red and the swelling is only slight. With my previous two sessions I was extremely red and hugely swollen, eyes were mere slits. This time, from reading your tips, I slept in a sitting position (recliner), iced my face and tummy with frozen peas, and took ibuprofen. Before each session I am given 5mg valium and 5mg vicoden, along with a topical numbing gel... The other sessions were only moderately uncomfortable, this session was very umcomfortable and at times almost unbareable due to the intensity increase.... I am dreading # four. But... it will all be worth it in the end.
sandy
1 post
Nov 30, 2006
1:38 AM
I had my first fraxell 3 days ago. Two days before fraxel I have started to use a vitamin K cream from O'Donnel. I use this everytime I go to a treatment, which will be harsh on my face. Fraxell first treatment was not that bad. It hurt a bit, but tolerable. First day I was red in my face, like a sunburn. Doc told me it will last 2 days, but today is the 3rd day and redness is not gone. Now my face looks patchy and redness became a little dark. Also my skin became hard. It is not hurting and when I don'tlook into the mirror, I forget it. But everyone asks me, if I have an allergy. I continue using the vitamin K cream, Aloe Vera. Don't wash your face with harsh cleansers or with bars. Use a very mild cleanser like Cethapil. I think I will use AHA lotion in a very low concentrate on the 6 the day or so. I will wait and see how my face will react. I think AHAs can help with flaking. But for those who have blisters or open wounds, don't use AHA or other exfoliants. Wait until all is gone. Also copper peptides help speed up the healing time. But not when your skin is hurting. Take vitamin C, don't wash your face too often and also liquid silicone (keep it in the fridge, spray it on your face as often as you need, has a cooling effect and speeds up the healing time of any wound) will help. At this time I think we should use only hydrating creams with maybe Aloe, Calendula, hyaluronic acid (replenish cream is excellent) and when your face can tolerate it, try copper peptides.
After reading all the post, I think I will cancel the 2nd treatment. I see no need to have such a long downtime. I am 43 with a little sagging skin, a few dark spots and deep nasofoblial (??) wrinkles. I cannot take it to get frustrated with redness, wounds etc. I will look for another option with less downtime.
Wish you good luck
sandy
4 posts
Dec 05, 2006
1:56 PM
Hi
After one week of the first fraxell my skin looks really changed. A much smoother surface was the first thing I realised. No redness and no borwn spots. My few brown spots faded alot. I think I will continue the treatments, but I will tell the doc, not to turn the strength too high. I think I will just schedule one more treatment than planned before and not go to very high strenghts. My doc told me that one has two options. High strength fewer treatments longer downtime more suffering , or not too high strenghts with shorter downtime and less suffering... I will choose the second. Good luck to you all.
sandy
5 posts
Dec 11, 2006
8:43 AM
Hi again, After two weeks my skin looks really great. I am living in Austria, where fraxell is not that common and I am really interested in other fraxell stories. Please keep posting. In two days I have my appointement, my doc will check my skin. Let's see,what he will say. My 15 years old daughter told me today, I have a much brighter looking dewy skin. And I can see it as well.
Chris2478
1 post
Aug 04, 2007
7:45 AM
I had my second fraxel 2 weeks ago...first one 2 months ago. Last couple of days I've noticed my upper lip is almost non-existent when I smile broadly.........not an easy task since I've always had rather full lips. I know this sounds bizarre, but has anyone experienced this? I also was extremely swollen for 3 days and really NOT looking okay for 5-6 days! But. I guess that's what most are experiencing. Any comments on the lip thing?
Mimi
1 post
Aug 17, 2007
3:45 PM
This is day 4 of my third fraxel, each a month apart. For the first one I only had the numbing cream and it was pretty painful, but I was able to get through it...barely. For the second I had someone drive me so I could get some heavy duty drugs. Had the numbing cream and a shot in the rear of a huge dose of an ibuprofen type drug. An hour before the procedure they gave me two vicodin and 10 min. before treatment, an anti-anxiety (valium) under-the-tongue tablet. Procedure was uncomfortable, but MUCH easier to deal with. Same drugs for the third. Swelling for 1st fraxel was bad the second & third days, less so for the next 4 days. Flaking began on 3rd day....no pain at all AFTER ALL the fraxels. Swelling was more pronounced after the 2nd fraxel (higher intensity) and took a good 2 weeks to look pretty much normal. Today is Friday and Tues.,(4 days ago) I thought the healing was gonna be easier........WRONG!! Swelling on day 2...woke up day 3 and "tried" to look in the mirror. My eyes were almost swollen SHUT with bags of fluid on the inside corners of my eyes next to my nose, hugely swollen EVERYWHERE!! I almost fainted and/or vomited from the shock!!!! Have been ICING for 4 days now and the swelling is going down, slowly! My eyes are much better and have major flaking from the bronzing. I was told to do vinegar soaks and that REALLY helps soothe the warmth and tightness and of course mosturize, moisturize, moisturize. After each fraxel my skin DOES look better; smaller pores, brown sunspots (former sunworshipper) are gone and fine lines have disappeared. The crepe-iness on my neck seems to be the biggest improvement....much firmer. Am done with fraxels for now....may touch up once a year.....certainly NOT, NOT, NOT a "no downtime" procedure!!! The fraxel people need to come clean in their ads and let people know about "worst case scenarios" Good luck to all of you.

Vinegar recipe: 1 teaspoon vinegar/2 cups cold water
Use a "soppy-wet" washcloth to apply rinse to your face for 5 minutes or so every 1-2 hours.

Post a Message
Guest Name

(8192 Characters Left)

Please enter the code shown above and click the 'Post Message' button. This additional step is required to help protect against message spam.